The Sanford School Department hosted a safety information night on Thursday, January 19th, in the Performing Arts Center to review the ALICE training in our schools.
During the 2022-2023 school year, Sanford Schools began a new approach to active shooter incidents called ALICE. ALICE is short for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, and Evacuate. It is a federally endorsed approach to dealing with an active shooter and other emergency situations. (For more information, click here)
- Alert – inform people of the threat, and give as much information as possible.
- Lockdown – Students and staff can choose to lockdown and barricade the room they are in if they determine it is not safe to evacuate.
- Inform – pass on as much information as possible to others and to first responders, including 911.
- Counter – an effort of last resort; if an armed intruder is able to get into the space they are in, students are being trained to use every effort to stop the intruder instead of being passive victims.
- Evacuate – If it is safe to do so, all are encouraged to evacuate the building and remove themselves from the threat.
You can watch the information night on WSSR-TV’s YouTube page below.